Founded in 1868, the University of California Berkeley (UCB) is a public research university and the flagship school of the ten research universities associated with the University of California program.
Berkeley is one of the 14 founding members of the American Universities Association and is home to some world-renowned research institutes, including the Mathematical Science Research Institute and the Laboratory of Space Sciences.
There are 99 Nobel laureates, 23 Turing Award winners and 14 Pulitzer Prize winners among Berkeley alumni, faculty and researchers. Part of the school, J. R. Oppenheimer directed the Manhattan Project to build the first atomic bomb, while Berkeley’s Nobel laureate Ernest Lawrence created the cyclotron through which scientists and researchers from UC Berkeley identified 16 chemical elements from the periodic table.
Berkeley began out with just over 40 graduates, but it quickly gained ground on its illustrious forebears as the first full-school college in California. It had grown significantly by the early 1940s and was ranked second only to Harvard.
Through its nuclear facility, which was influential in the project to develop an atomic bomb, Berkeley achieved more prominence during this decade. Through the 1964 Free Speech Movement and university resistance to the Vietnam War, Berkeley developed a nationwide name for student activism during the sixties. Ronald Reagan, the then governor of California, declared the Berkeley campus “a refuge for communist sympathizers, demonstrators, and gender deviants” in 1969, while today’s students seem to be more liberal in politics.
The Berkeley campus covers approximately 1,232 acres of San Francisco’s bay area, with many of its buildings in the Beaux-Arts style being recognized as historic landmarks in California.
Ranking of University of California Berkeley
California University — Berkeley at National Universities is ranked # 22. Schools are rated through a series of widely accepted metrics of quality according to their results.
|#22||National Universities (tie)|
|#34||Best Undergraduate Teaching (tie)|
|#148||Best Value Schools|
Fee Structure of University of California Berkeley
Following are courses and their respective fee:
|Courses||Duration||1st Year Tuition Fees|
|MBA (3 Courses)||12 – 24 Months||INR 42.2L – 86.5L|
|MEng (3 Courses)||1 Year||INR 35.6L|
|MS (6 Courses)||9 – 24 Months||INR 19.1L – 29.6L|
|BE/Btech (6 Courses)||4 Years||INR 29.1L|
|BSc (2 Courses)||4 Years||INR 29.1L|
|MArch (2 Courses)||1 – 2 Years||INR 22L|
|Other Courses (6 Courses)||0.7 – 4 Years||INR 18.9L – 38.1L|
Courses of University of California Berkeley
In contrast to UC Berkeley Extension, Berkeley’s more than 130 teaching divisions and services are grouped into 14 colleges and schools. Colleges are both undergraduates and alumni, although colleges have typically just seniors, although some offer majors, minors or classes for undergraduates.
- College of Chemistry
- College of Engineering
- College of Environmental Design
- College of Letters and Science
- College of Natural Resources
- Graduate School of Education
- Graduate School of Journalism
- Haas School of Business
- Goldman School of Public Policy
- School of Information
- School of Law
- School of Optometry
- School of Public Health
- School of Social Welfare
Required Documents for admission in University of California Berkeley
University of California, Berkeley was consistently ranked #1 among US public universities at the University of California (UC). Admissions from UC Berkeley saw an overall drop in the acceptance rate, from 18 percent during the 2017 intake to 16.9 percent for the 2018 session. While the foreign admission approval rate for 2018 was estimated at 9.14 million. This, in turn, indicates that with each academic session, admissions at UC Berkeley gradually become selective.
- Applications begin during the last week of November for both foreign UG candidates.
- Normally they obtain a verdict about 4 to 6 weeks after the request has been submitted.
- Students of UG can apply through My UC Application Portal.
- Deadlines, qualifications and academic requirements for graduate programs are common.
- In most courses, the admission session usually starts during the fall/spring season. But there may be applications for the UCB Summer Session during the summer season.
Admission Eligibility Criteria of University of California Berkeley
The following minimum requirements should be fulfilled for students applying to Berkeley:
- Meet the requirements of the A-G topic class. (Review A-G Policy Tool Guide)
- Have a 3.0 GPA for 10th and 11th-grade A-G classes.
- Take either the SAT reasoning examination or the ACT examination (3.4 GPA for non-residents).
Such minimum requirements meet with the minimum requirements of the University of California (UC).
The environment of University of California Berkeley
Berkeley’s life is not standing still. With over 35,000 students from around the world and a vibrant urban setting, it’s not surprising that the campus community is talking about a “fear of missing out.” Jump in and find out how dynamic and interconnected Berkeley life can be.
Cal Recreational Sports are committed to improving learners, teachers, employees, and public awareness, recreation, health, personal skills, and quality of life. Recreational Sports provides life-long physical techniques, teamwork, communication, interpersonal skills and helps balance the pressure of studying and working in a rigorous academic atmosphere by offering services, courses, events and incentives for collaborative and competitive play.
What is the entrance gateway to University of California Berkeley?
To be eligible for entry to UC Berkeley, foreign students must:
- complete secondary school and
- obtain a qualification certificate requiring access to a college in their country of origin or year of graduation.
The entry criteria at UC Berkeley have not yet been fulfilled by students who have passed the IGCSE or O-level tests. The university requires more training, including passing the two-year A-level course with at least three external tests, the IB certificate plan, or a related educational curriculum.
Students from countries requiring entry into the military service should not submit an application until the obligation has been fulfilled. UC Berkeley is unable to postpone admission until later.
Students may have to fulfill certain admission requirements (link is external) and, depending on the country or educational system, obey other standards for completing the request.
Language qualifications English skills were key for UC Berkeley’s growth. By taking one of these exams and earning the required scores, you can demonstrate competence: TOEFL or IELTS.
Before a U.S. consul issues a visa, you will show that you have enough money to cover all your costs when you live in the United States. You need to clarify the origins of your funds to make sure you collect them while you’re at UC Berkeley.
The consul will not issue a student visa unless you can provide written evidence that you have ample financial resources for the entire time needed to complete your degree program.
If the state of your nation limits the amount of cash that can be sent to the U.S. graduates, you can make sure the funds are available.
Before you leave your country, you must have enough money to:
- Cover travel expenses to UC Berkeley
- Pay for the full duration
- Fulfill living expenses until more cash reaches you
- Fund a return fare to your home If your country’s government needs proof of enrolment until money can be sent to you, you can request the International Student Adviser to provide confirmation.
Many students incorrectly assume that additional financial aid or part-time work will be eligible. Every year, most students find themselves in serious financial difficulty because they have not provided adequate assistance.
Advantages of University of California Berkeley
- Job opportunities: this is a great advantage of moving abroad. The connection to San Francisco and other areas of Silicon Valley with a start-up community (i.e. Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Mountain View) means a huge number of job openings in all kinds of industries. Berkeley’s CS curriculum is one of the best in the country, and perhaps the planet, and, as you might imagine, top tech firms (Facebook, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.) are almost always hiring here. Besides, the career center is great and they’re running plenty of events to make sure you get the most out of recruitment activities and what’s wrong. Anything that isn’t often discussed is the prospects for people in the financial sector-top investment banks are often hiring locally, although we’re not exactly known for that. There is almost always a consultative case rivalry funded by different companies, and a number of student organizations have relations to financial firms or others.
- Research: doing research as an undergraduate here is genuinely super-accessible despite the fact that the school is massive. This means working with a teacher or doing independent research.
- Peer quality and innovation: this is something I can never get over: everyone here is incredibly smart. The entrepreneurship community here is massive, and people are always trying to solve unanswered problems in the world; it’s really motivating. Which definitely creates rivalry, but I’m going to get to that later. Innovation is not just confined to students— the faculty is always trying to make learning here easier and more available. For example, the data science initiative being spearheaded by the CS and Stats departments is impressive. University makes their intro class accessible to people with simple algebra skills, even though we learn some pretty sophisticated stuff. Initiatives began here at Berkeley and also developed some of the programming languages widely used for data science in industry.
- Location: Berkeley is a great college community. There are great restaurants for any palate really close to school, and there’s always something to do (getting pizza or hot dogs at midnight is a common occurrence). San Francisco is also just a 20-minute train ride away, so it’s pretty easy to plan a day out there. There’s also a lot of great biking in Berkeley itself and a number of nice areas.
- Classes: The training you’re going to get here is going to be amazing. There is no question about that. For almost everything (STEM, arts, social sciences, all of it), Berkeley is at the top or near the top of his profession. All of the teachers here are extremely qualified. There are tons of great instructors who really love teaching. There’s a huge variety of courses online, and it’s a shame I’m not going to be able to take everything I want in the period I have.
- Events / Campus Speakers: there’s always something going on, and it’s a huge advantage for someone like me. It’s very hard to sit in my room all day when there’s always an opportunity to go out and meet new people or try something new. For example, 2 weeks ago, I learned how to dance and dance salsa. There are also some great guests who get welcomed here (Sonia Sotomayor is one I can think of a few weeks ago, and Steve Wozniak likes to come here every now and then). There are plenty of software talks going on from tech company staff speaking about their experience working with engineering and mastering the art of programming interviews.
- Dead Week: this is an enormous advantage of the semester system. We’ve had a whole week of no lessons before the final week to research and write papers, and it’s super awesome.
- Memes: all those Facebook groups/pages of schools that end up in a series of “teens?” Beginning at UC Berkeley. It was originally called “UC Berkeley Memes for Edgy Teens.” We are the official meme capital of the United States.
Hostel life of University of California Berkeley
Our goal is to encourage the adjustment to the intellectual and social worlds of the University of California, Berkeley, and to foster the personal well-being and appreciation for the community needs of all people. Our suburban (external link) and apartment (external link) societies are based on deliberate learning objectives:
- Educational success-Students will be able to recognize a number of strategies and/or tools that sustain their academic pursuits.
- Community involvement-Students will be able to meet their friends and build a social network within their residential community.
- Diversity & Global Consciousness-Students will be able to express the ideas and practices needed to function in a multicultural residential community.
- Self Exploration-The students will be able to discover and share their own values and beliefs.
- Holistic Wellness-Students will be able to pursue approaches that support their social well-being and healthy life.
It is my dream that you will be interested in one of our many leadership opportunities in urban neighborhoods. Our committed and loving team will help make your stay with us as enjoyable and rewarding as possible. I also hope to see you at campus-wide activities (link is external) aimed at increasing your social and academic growth.
Experience of the Past Alumni of University of California Berkeley
Noah Randolph-Received two job offers, internships by paying attention to the group and using the network’s technical networks. ”I received two job offers and a scholarship just because I paid attention to what people placed out in the world. Live courses online (which MIDS does) are the way to go for prospective students. In-person lessons require taking the time to go somewhere, and reported online classes are very tedious, forcing you to expend the dedication of money that could be used elsewhere.”
Read More about Top USA Universities:
- Duke University
- Columbia University
- University of Toronto
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Northern Philippines
- University of Chicago
- Yale University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Southwestern University
- Princeton University