Canada – the leading education provider in the world. There are various top colleges in Canada which interests the Indian students for their higher education. There are both publicly funded and private colleges in the Country. Education is very important to Canadians, and the education standards are very high in all the provinces. The educational institutions in Canada are not ranked officially, but if you are looking for admission to a good Canada college – you can find various quality institutions in the country.
While looking for a suitable school – research. Consider the type of college, size, and location of the college before enrolling. If you already have a particular area in your mind in which you are going to enroll, then you must do detailed research about the various Universities.
Indian Students In Canada Universities / Colleges
Is Canada a sought-after location for Indian students to study abroad? Definitely! And that can be observed by the increasing number of Indian students in Canadian universities and colleges. If you too are an Indian student who wants to study in Canada then you must know that there are plenty of opportunities for you.
Canada has improved its international education system this planning to have more than 450,000 international students by the year 2022. As of 2018, there were more than 572,000 foreign students in Canada. More than 30% of this number was from India showing overall growth of around 350% since 2014. According to IRCC, there was more than 172,000 enrollment from India only. Aside from India, students from China, South Korea, France, USA, and more countries enrolled for education in Canada.
Main Courses Chosen By Indian Students in Canada
There are various study options for international students in Canada. As an Indian student, it is recommended that you apply at least 6 to 9 months before your session starts as competition gets very high near the deadline. Also, the application process can vary depending on the department you choose.
There are several study programs which usually attracts international students in Canada
- Certificate course that is usually of one or two years (diploma)
- An advanced diploma that lasts for 2-3 years
- Undergraduate courses that are usually of three or four years
- Postgraduate programs that are of two years
- PhD that is usually 4 to 5 years with dissertation
There are various popular courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level that most Indian students want to take admission in. These include, but are not limited to,
- Administrative Studies
Average Fee Structure/ Cost of Universities/ Colleges In Canada
The fee structure or the cost of the university to study from Canada depends on which department you choose. It also varies according to the university course and the city that you take admission in.
The tuition expenses can vary anywhere between CDN $10,000 to $30,000 per year for any undergraduate course. And for a postgraduate course, the cost would be between $15,000 to $55,000 year approximately.
Apart from admission and tuition expenses, the students have to keep in mind the living expenses that could be anywhere between CDN $10,000 to $12000 per year. The living expenses depend on where the student stays and their lifestyle.
Important Examinations For Study In Canada
To be able to take admission in one of the colleges in any program the students have to take certain exams for each course. the type of examination depends on whether you are going for an undergraduate course or postgraduate course. General exams are:
- GMAT – the graduate management aptitude test measures the mathematical English and reasoning skills of the student and checks if the potential MBA aspirant is eligible to undertake higher education in the field of business or management.
- GRE – the graduate record examination is taken by the students who want to pursue an MBA or MS. Many business schools are also accepting GRE scores if the students want to take admission in MBA.
- LSAT – The law school admission test as the name suggests is a standardized test that measures the eligibility of a student to get admission in law schools.
- SAT – Scholastic assessment test is taken by high school students who you want to get into to an undergraduate course this test usually measures the literacy writing skills to check whether the aspirant is eligible for admission or not.
Apart from these general exams, there are some exams required for vocational Canada college courses. if you are looking for admission in any of the vocational courses then you have to check the website of the university to check which exam results will be applicable for the course of your choice.
How To Get Admission In Canada Colleges: Step By Step Application Process
Every university in Canada has its procedure for admission and has its own rules and requirements. So to make it easy to understand we have broken down the whole process of Canada college admission in small manageable steps.
Step 1- make sure that you meet all the requirements for the course and the university
it might seem easy to get into a Canadian University as an Indian student but trust us it is not. You have to start planning at least a year and have a look at all the requirements for various courses and what documents you are going to be needing for each.
As stated above every University has its own rules but commonly three things are required
- You must have an up to date passport
- Applicants must have English proficiency qualification proof
- Proof of how you are going to pay the tuition.
Step 2- Do thorough research and find a course that you want to enrol in and find the perfect University for yourself
Choose a specific course that you want to enrol in, it tends to be flexible if you change your mind later.
make sure the institution that you choose is on the designated learning institute list so that it is easier to get a student visa.
Step 3- Take the IELTS or TOEFL examination
English language proficiency test is compulsory to get admission to all universities and colleges in Canada. It might be so that you would not be eligible for admission if you do not have the certification. to make sure that you are eligible for admission to take the IELTS or TOEFL exam.
For the universities or colleges that come under the French-speaking part of Canada you can take the French proficiency test and for that most common is TEF exam.
Step 4- The application process arises from course to course and University to University. So to get admission in a certain University to reach out to them and they will send you their application packs that will explain to you the process. once you meet all the requirements you can send in the applications and after that, you just have to wait.
Step 5- When you have received the acceptance letter apply for the study permit
student can apply for a study permit for the visa online or in person at your local visa application centre. The fees, as usual, will vary depending on your location.
No note that you will need to provide some evidence to get the study permit. For that carry these three things
- The acceptance letter from the DLI university
- Your current updated passport
- Prove that you can support yourself financially in Canada
Step 6- After getting your study permit you can your journey
Everything should be cross-checked including your start to the arrival date in the country. Every student must be e present in the orientation of the college so make sure that you do not miss your flight delay your arrival.
Step 7- Now that you have everything that you are going to need, have been accepted in the university, and have now arrived in Canada you can start your studies.
The Education System in Canada
We all know that the school system in every country is different so it is but of yours that the school system in Canada will also be different from India. Is there two regions that are English and French-speaking region in the country’s education is available in both languages. If you are proficient in either of the language you can get admission in the college.
There are three types of institutions
- Public universities which are run by the provincial-territorial or federal government and the funding is received from the tuition fees of the
- Private universities which are mostly found it but donations and research trance and they do not receive any funding from the government
- Liberal arts colleges which are pretty similar to that in the USA and I is a public or private college and they only focus on undergraduate courses in liberal arts.
Indian Students Visa Requirements in Canada
Students generally the following items to qualify for Canada student visa application
- A valid updated passport
- The acceptance letter from your University
- The proof of payment or finance
- Proof of your financial funds (about how you are going to support yourself in Canada)
- Passport size photographs
- Your study permit
- Proof of your English proficiency
- If there are any additional requirements University will notify you for that
Get Admission Abroad: Why to Choose Us For Study In Canada Guidance
For your study in Canada guidance, you should choose to Get Admission Abroad as your Canada admission consultants because we will help you in finding the right institute and getting through the admissions process. You will not have to worry about the entire immigration process as well. We will have your visa and documentation ready. We will also help you settle down in the new country and we offer various sessions that brief the students about the social culture and lifestyle of the countries that you choose.
FAQs for Study In Canada
1. Why choose to study in Canada for Indian Students?
the main reason most of the Indian students who want to take admission in Canada is that many of the top-ranked universities in the world are in Canada. The country is safe and has a high quality of life. Universities in Canada focus on research and have a significant role in groundbreaking discoveries.
2. How do I begin the process of studying in Canada?
To begin the process of studying in Canada, you must start by looking at the courses and requirements for the universities that you want to enrol in. After that, you can take the IELTS exam for your English proficiency eligibility.
3. Is it possible to transfer from one Canada college to another without starting the program over?
Various programs in Canadian universities are flexible so you can get the transfer.
4. What are the basic steps to study in Canada?
Basic steps include – looking for your course, selecting the university, taking the English proficiency exam, applying for the university, after getting the acceptance letter applying for a study permit, planning for going abroad, after arrival in Canada starting your studies.
5. What are the top universities/ Colleges in Canada?
Read More about Top Universities
Carnegie Mellon University
New York University
University of California, Berkeley
University of California, Davis
University of California, Los Angeles
University of Michigan
University of Toronto
Johns Hopkins University